Author Topic: How to open a Sybian unit  (Read 6790 times)

alsrarestamps

How to open a Sybian unit
« on: August 03, 2014, 02:24:06 AM »
Hello,  I recently purchased a Sybian on craigslist only to find out that it does not turn on.  I checked all the obvious things including the fuse.  I am fairly handy in fixing things and wanted to open it up.  I go past the special security screws that I was able to remove, but I can't seem to separate the base from the top in order to take a look. There is something that is preventing me from doing this.  Does anyone know if there is a "secret" to opening up a Sybian?  Thank you,  Al

Joe

• Administrator
Re: How to open a Sybian unit
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 06:20:20 PM »
Hi Al

I'm not sure how to open the sybian - have you tried prizing the seat carefully away from the base?

Perhaps the people at Sybian.com would be able to help you

Joe

alsrarestamps

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 08:07:10 AM »
Joe,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  For some reason, the base does not want to separate.  There is something that is holding the two together even after the screws have been removed.  I may have to take your suggestion re: contacting Sybian.  However, they since they have a service dept. ,and I'm sure it generates income, they might not be willing to help and may just suggest that I send it in for repair.  I'll post something with the rest of the story.

Al

sybianrentals-uk

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 01:39:48 AM »
Its easy to get the cover off. Here's how...

1. using a crosshead screwdriver remove the screws o the base except for the ones on the two aluminium strips (these hold the vinyl on the abs housing) and the two nearest the inlet and the two nearest the control wire (these four hold the motor support frame to the base plate.

2. Get a flat head screwdriver and file a notch on the middle of the blade to make two fangs that fit the two security screws on the base and remove these screws with it.

3. Remove any attachment on the top black bar and press down the padded vinyl around the top bar so that you get access to the two pillars that attach the top bar to the unit. You will see 4 allen key/hex wrench headed screws (2 each side). these have to be removed and once done the top bar will pull away from the unit completely.

4. use a pair of grips to squash the cable entry gland where the controller wire enters the main unit and gently pull the cable and gland an inch or so out from the base, remove the gland (it opens up) and push the wire back into the unit a little to create some slack.

5. Turn the unit on its side and with a flat screwdriver or similar prize the black shell over the inlet socket to free it from the machine. The cover can then be eased off. Do remember to unplug the Sybian from the mains before doing this procedure though.

NB when pulling the cover up and off take care not to hit the circuit board(s) on the side of the motor support frame area..