Author Topic: Sybian Pictures and/or details of Internal Parts  (Read 15574 times)

bopper66

Sybian Pictures and/or details of Internal Parts
« on: May 22, 2015, 07:21:45 PM »
Was looking for someone who has detailed photo's of the internal components, specifically the eccentric cam assembly/vibration plate they could share or sell, dimensions or detailed drawings a plus. I have looked online and found many pictures of an assembled unit with the cover off and SybianBuilders pictures, but I need a bit more detail on the vibration mechanism. I am going to attempt to create a kit and/or parts list to share as a DIY. The components will be identical in spec but lower cost. Also I am going to create a hack version as well that will have thrusting capabilities. All top notch and well engineered not harbor freight sander motors.

If someone has a non-functional unit I would be interested in purchasing it to reverse engineer, or I can return it functional. Thanks in advance.   

Joe

• Administrator
Re: Sybian Pictures and/or details of Internal Parts
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 03:53:06 PM »
Hi bopper66

Welcome to the sybian boards :)

It might be worth buying a second hand unit from here, taking what you need and reselling it.

Joe

gh0st

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 02:08:21 PM »
Hi mate!

Then we are on the same mission, because I´m reverse engineer all image I can lay my hands on and also chasing other DIYselfers for more info. :)

This the information I have come up with now, and a BIG thanks to the one that posted this information earlier on the net.

Motors:
Bodine 24A4BEPM 2500-RPM 0043
Bodine 24ABEPM     125-RPM Right-Angle

Controllers:
KBIC-120 SCR
KBWD-13 PWM

Pulleys:
MZL 24-Grv 0.2500
MZL 60-Grv 0.3125

Belt:
MZL Belt 144-Teeth 1/4

Bearings:
0.375 ZZ with 4-Bore reducer

And I don´t know if this one is homemade or the real deal, anyhow, you will see how the vibrations work in it. ^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFoZ6mtBScY

Oh, and you talked about a thrusting one also!
Then take a look at this then: http://etsy.me/1ccTU9d

Me myself are looking to build one for my common law wife, but as you say, it´s the vibration stuff that will be the "hard" part. And I´m looking to replace that one with another motor.

Just drop me a PM if you need more info. :)

bopper66

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 08:11:10 PM »
gh0st,

Thanks I have the same parts list and none of the videos onluine show enough detail to get the dimensions of the eccentric shaft for vibrations. Going to do trial and error to get find the right diameter,  offset weight and inertia for the shaft, but would like to be very similar to the sybian so it has the same rumble and harmonics. Rest of build is very straight forward -so far. I will work out reducing noise etc with different components.

Right now working out the combination of the original sybian rotation and add thrusting. This will of course change the saddle contact part quite a bit. Plan right now is to use servo motor with controller.

After all done, I expecting that total build cost (non-prototype) for the 2 motion to be ~300USD, and the 3 motion about ~450USD.
I am building the prototypes with identical and comparative components to get cost down, If you go all bodine with controllers you are over $400USD just there.
So far all parts I have are readily available, all well made motors not from sanders or sewing machines, have bodine motors and their lower cost (half) equivalents to drag race. So far a couple of the motors are a bit noisier but the front runner is slightly stronger, a bit smaller and quiet. Also making design so that other than miter saw and drill no other power tools required.
The eccentric Cam for vibration is key to make the vibration the same experience I do not want to create a different one.  So pictures, dimensions of shaft are key. Too big with too much offset and you have a jackhammer, too little and you have an electric toothbrush. Plus the popularity of the Sybian most likely means that they got the buzz and the thumping of the vibration just right.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has these pictures or dimensions.

gil909

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 04:10:34 PM »
My question
What causes vibration
The axis dishonest

gaz

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 01:48:55 PM »
Hi
I would also be interested in building the sybian machine. Cannot afford a new machine but I am a competent DIYer. can I ask, have you completed a sybian build yet or are you still working on it.

sybianrentals-uk

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 01:48:22 AM »
We have had ours apart to replace the control wire and to increase rotation max speed a lot. (Yum!). We considered reverse engineering it but frankly the metalwork is so complicated with cutting, bending and welding and then the carriage unit has 4 bearings, a double cranked rod that must be custom made and welded on pillars to attach the top attachment bar. we have had metal parts made by engineering companies before and duplicating the Sybian as a one off would cost more then buying a new one!